- Serra de Sintra
- Cronologia Sintrense
- Quintas de Sintra
- Palácios de Sintra
- Castelo dos Mouros
- Fontes de Sintra
- Parque da Pena
- Sintra Assombrada
- Mapas antigos de Sintra
- Praias de Sintra
- Cemitérios de Sintra
- Convento dos Capuchos
- Grandes Tragédias
- Penedos da Serra de Sintra
- Fotos de Sintra
- Lendas de Sintra
- Fotos de Sintra Antigas
- Árvores de Sintra
- Caminhadas em Sintra
- Artigos Soltos
We have 162 guests and no members online
The Mercy Church
For its characteristics charitable and voluntary, the Mercy of Sintra accumulated over time a collection archival and artistic noteworthy. In addition to all documentation medieval and fifteenth - inherited from previous local charitable institutions - the Santa Casa de Sintra also has important documentary nuclei of the sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.
Part of his estate, also, numerous vestments, ornaments, altar pieces, wreaths, bowls and flushes, dated almost entirely marked out the period between the sixteenth and eighteenth centuries.
Deserve a prominent place, however, the boards of the sixteenth century temple, attributed to Christopher Vaz and representing the Adoration of the Magi and the Resurrection of Christ, which consist of two works of significant value for its chromaticism, pure lines and aesthetic composition.
The church of Marian invocation, although currently lies just reduced its chapel, still has something of its past importance, being noteworthy the altarpiece of the eighteenth-century XII, all of it built in gilt, and where the stress several orders of twisted columns richly decorated with vine leaves and bunches of grapes. The image, roca, placed at the center of the altarpiece, is an interesting piece eighteenth century.
No one knows for sure what the true date of the founding of the first charity of Sintra. Authors for flying a chronology prior to the fourteenth century. At Tombo fifteenth / sixteenth of existing properties in the Historical Archives of Mercy, it follows a chronology much indented. But this primitive institution can not be in any way confused with the Santa Casa da Misericordia de Sintra, which - as we shall see - is obviously much later.
However, no doubt looms as the time of the institution of the Holy Spirit Hospital - which directly precedes the Mercy - which dates back certainly to the reign of King Fernando, such as the construction of the first temple.
Either way, the Confraternity of the Holy House of Mercy of the town of Sintra comes to us only founded in 1545, the bodies of D. Catherine, wife of D. John III. It was also at her request that the monarch has attached to the old Confraternity of Mercy Hospital and Gafaria.
During the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries the Mercy of Sintra continued its work of providing health services and religious - governed by fourteen "Works of Mercy" - involving some other practical and ideological in nature.
Bequests to the Mercy of Sintra ensued, accumulating a substantial heritage, and to register the various monetary and property donations and offers of upgrading works for the church of Our Lady of Mercy, built in front of the Royal Palace.
Later, during the eighteenth century, the Mercy of Sintra continued to enjoy numerous royal privileges, only the 1755 earthquake came undermine that institution. Almost completely razed his church, reconstruction work began immediately afterwards, albeit at a slightly accelerated pace - all because the Holy House was then mainly engaged in helping the survivors - and it was given by the completed works only in 1762.
Today, the temple is kept to a magnificent high altar and two side altars, since the entire ship and other dependencies were criminally demolished, at the dawn of the Republic, in order to widen the road.
That is to say neither God escapes capitalist rage now because this church is seized by a bank that you removed all your filling.
Misericordia Church before demolition.