We have 153 guests and no members online

Timeline 1501 to 1600

 

 

1500 - Reconstruction of the Trinity convent that was ruined under the patronage of King Manuel.


1495/1521 - During the reign of King Manuel I held up improvement works in the palace of Vila, (as the inner lining of the Mudejar tiles). The palace became a royal residence where the crown invests more, becoming a single copy of palatial architecture Portuguese.
Century 15/16 - Campaign works in Manueline Church of Saint Martin.
Century 16 - Transfer of the parish of St. Peter for the new church built at the end of the village, with the expulsion of the Jews by D. Manuel, the castle was completely depopulated.
Century 16, 1st quarter - giving the Quinta de El Rey D. Manuel I to D. João de Castro, son of D. Álvaro de Castro and D. Leonor de Noronha, as reward for his glorious deeds; D. João de Castro sends pluck all the fruit trees, leaving the vegetation grow freely, determining that the farm was never in production, but for pleasure.
Century 16, 1st quarter - Chapel of St. Lazarus should have received works on the initiative of Queen Leonor, why is its flagship portal on bocetes and domes.
Century 16 - The fifth Chapel is built by the Duke of Cadaval.
Century 16 - Foundation and erection of the chapel of Our Lady of Mercy initiative Family D. João de Castro, viceroy of India.
Century 16 - Probable construction of Quinta dos Pisões by date portal of 1533.
Century 16 - The original Clock Tower Village was dating the reign of King Manuel or early D. John III.
Century 16 - Season probable construction of the Royal Palace of the fountain.
Century 16 - Appointment of Manuel Luis as master of water pipes in the Palácio da Vila.
Séc.16 - foundation of the second church of San Pedro de Penaferrim, the parish seat, which confirms the non-use of the primitive church of San Pedro de Canaferrim.
Séc.16, last quarter - the reign of King Sebastian, the Senate Chamber Necklaces, installs the castle its various departments.
1501, July 31 - Standing in the palace of Sintra D. Manuel receives the news of the arrival of the fleet of Pedro Álvares Cabral in Brazil.
1501, August 22 - letter of thanks from the monastery of judge private Long rock.
1502 - Traditionally the legend runs that D. Manuel had seen Pena's Chapel of the arrival of armed Vasco da Gama, India.
1503 - The King wanted to transform the monastery chapel of the Order of St. Jerome, and to this end necessary to cut the rock and proceed to an embankment; D. Manuel adds to the old chapel of Nossa Senhora da Pena a small convent building, constructed from wood, handing the friars of the Order Jerónima. The monastery was built with the expense of the Crown.
1505, August 3 - charter of King for receiving the money works, determining the grocery clerk at the Monastery of the same feather.
1503 - Jewry is documented.
1506 - Parish Church of St Michael - Director of covering wood (cedar) of the nave of the church at the expense of the parish priest Father John Lobo, later Bishop of Tangier.
1506/1521 - D. Lopo John, Bishop of Tangier, was vicar of St Mary and St Michael Prior of Sintra, sending doing great works in the church of Santa Maria: lining the ceiling with cedar wood with the arms of Queen embedded in the center, main portal and choir -High.
1507 - Drawings of Duarte d'Weapons of Sintra view of South, Southeast and West., Finding himself on the 1st of the facade of the Infants room with 4 twin windows on many other full arches.
1508 - Friar John of Santa Ana was elected provincial of the order, from the alms collected in Sintra and Cascais, which hitherto went to the Convento do Carmo in Lisbon to go to the Convent of Santa Ana
1508/1510 - Due to the frequent residence of the Court in Sintra opened the 2nd campaign works Manueline at Palácio da Vila recorded in the "Book Income and Expense" the comptroller and receiver André Gonçalves: construction of "room-Blood Prince," by Peter of Carnide, Pedro Torres and Gonçalo Gomes, the Hall of Arms, the Stable of Mecca; placing the ceiling of the chapel to which the master carpenter John Lamb performed "roses", "star" and "rezimbros"; sits one portal and 2 windows in the House of Finance; lageamento the "skate Ladies" and "orangery of the sun"; towed if "game by"; renovation of paintings camera and the Chapel; buying wood, tiles, bricks , lead, tenons and thousands of tiles "of any sort" who were transported from the Convent of Pena and the yard of the Monastery of Santa Maria de Belém
1511 - D. Manuel promotes the construction of the new convent sing hieronimita Pena, Pena Rebuilding the monastery in stone (limestone and granite), the comptroller and receiver of the work Bearded Diogo, the plant consisted of "church, cloister, dormitory, workshops and steeple ".
1511/1513 - The monastery is Pena is delivered to 19 monks and servers (that number was increasing) are granted various favors, privileges and donations Jerónima the new home, such as wheat, porcelain, painted cloth for the curtains of the altars , altarpiece and money for the works.
1512 - The Ramalhão is direct control of the Holy Spirit Hospital and Gafaria Sintra.
1513, January 16 - the vicar of St. Peter Penaferrim, he received the revenues of the chapel that existed at the site of Feather, was offset, in the person of Jorge Rodrigues, D. Manuel with a pension of 2 moios wheat annually from the reguengo of Oeiras.
1514 - Charter discharge last heirs of the woman and Diogo Bearded, then deceased, containing a list of building materials applied in the Monastery of Our Lady of Pena, among whom there are about 64,000 tiles.
1514, October 26 - letter to the keeper of the works of the House of Mina give Brother Martin, prior of the convent of Pena, 12 Thousands of tiles that came from Castile.
1514 - D. Manuel renews charter of Sintra. In this framework will have carried out the construction of the pillory, the chapel of St. Sebastian (now defunct) and large refurbishment of the parish church of St. Martin.
1515 - Gaspar Gonçalves receives from D. Manuel Herdade Laranjeiras in Lourel for services rendered.
1515/1519 - 3rd Campaign execution of works including paintings of the Room of coats; building in Manueline Wing Town Palace.
1516 - D. Manuel granting or renewing the charter of Colares.
1517 - On the death of Queen Maria, the Penha Longa convent receives a testamentary bequest 30,000 reis; Bull of Pope Leo X transferring to Santa Maria de Belém headquarters of the Order of St. Jerome in Portugal, from the prior - mor this monastery to be his province.
1518 - Gaspar Gonçalves, possibly son or brother André Gonçalves, comptroller of the works of the Palace of Sintra is appointed Head Porter of the Royal House of D. Manuel, and he already had a solar root in medieval Lourel, the Palace of the Fifth Ribafria.
1518 - Gonçalo Gomes is mason works of the Palace; appointment of Pero Torres works as a carpenter's Palace.
1519, September 9 - License to provide wood for the construction of City Hall.
1519 - The King Manuel gives Carmelite convent of the Carmelite mercy of having donated goods to the value of thirty thousand reis, despite living on lands belonging to the Crown reguengo.
1519 - D. Manuel sends raise the so-called "lodges" or "kings' courts," issuing a permit for Afonso Monteiro give the wood needed for the works of Penha Longa and the Palace of Sintra.
1521 - For the church, which was the seat of the parish of St. Michael, is appointed by the Archbishop of Lisbon, Father Vincent Figueira (confessor of Queen Leonor) "rector" of the same.
1521 - After extinction of commendation and patronage have returned to the royal household, was presented as prior for D. Catherine, Spanish D. Julian de Alva, who made several works within the Church of Santa Maria.
1521/1555 - During the reign of King John III builds up the body between the wings and Johannine Manueline, plucking the body of Diana Yard (Room of the Welsh), and the porch-gallery spiral staircase that leads to Room D. Manuel, the terrace of Hearings and Diana source.
1523 - In the palace is a master of water pipes Diogo Rodrigues, with the salary of 5000 dollars.
1524, May 21 - payment Diogo Fernandes and Pedro works by big fish tile in the Palace.
June 11 - Pero Pexão was appointed master of water pipes palace, succeeding João Rodrigues; receive 4000 dollars per year.
1524 - Martin Pires is prior of St. Michael.
1524 - Confirmation by D. John III of a donation of money and grain for maintenance of the monks, made by D. Manuel in the letter that led to the rebuilding of the Monastery of the Pen
1526, May 14 - letter of appointment of Mark Fernandes as master of the Palace of pipes, replacing brother, John Rodrigues.
1527 - Marriage of D. D. João de Castro with Leonor Coutinho.
1527 - It was said "198 neighbors in the body of the village."
1528 - Rite of the Carmelite convent church by Bishop Frei Christopher Moniz, as stated in the description of the cruise.
1532 - D. John D. III and Catherine ordered the altarpiece, executed for Nicholas Chanterene; Chanterenne sculpts Nicolau of jasper and alabaster altarpiece of the church of the monastery of Pena.
1533-21 August - appointment of André Gonçalves storekeeper for the works of Hall.
1534 - Start of construction of the fifth Ribafria.
1534 - Gaspar Gonçalves orders to build the house and chapel of Ribafria in Sintra, according to the date entered in a chapiter attributing the work to Peter Pexão.
1534, May 15 - Gaspar Dias, keeper of the reguengo Algés receives 8000 dollars to pay the reels alabaster altarpiece for the making of Pena.
1534 - Gaspar Gonçalves, Head Porter of the royal chamber, called the Palace of the building Ribafrias, in whose work the master works Pero Pexão.
1535, March 3 - charter of D. John II to give two pieces of brocade from India to make curtains for the high altar of Pena.
1535 - Penha Longa becomes the seat of a college, created by D. John III, who undertakes to maintain religious and teachers, the school was moved in 1537 to Santa Marinha in Guimarães.
1538, November 19 - the placement of doors in the church of San Pedro de Canaferrim.
1538 - Inventory of the goods of the church of San Miguel.
1540 - D. John III promotes and works in the cloister garden at Penha Longa.
1540 - After a pilgrimage to the Benedictine hermitage of Montserrat, in Catalonia, Black Friar Gaspar sends build a votive chapel to Our Lady of Montserrat, whose image alabaster had come from Rome, at Quinta da Bela Vista, in the grounds of the Hospital de Todos-os Saints hillside N. Sierra.
1541 - Establishing yourself the squire of Ribafria, receiving Gaspar Gonçalves D. John III letter of arms and title of Lord of Ribafria.
1541 - Appointment of Gabriel Gomes works as a locksmith from the pipes of the Palace.
1541, September 21 - sent to the counters of Finance take into account actual 1672 Gafaria borrowed from Sintra to the making of the altarpiece Pena.
1542 - D. João de Castro settles in fifth da Penha Verde, sending build one story houses and founding the shrine of Our Lady of Mount attributed to several architects, or as Francisco de Holanda Miguel de Arruda.
1542 - Start of construction of the fifth da Penha Verde. In its surrounding farms come from seventeenth-century London, Pombal, S. And Benedict Chapel.
1542 - Deed of grant of the chancel to the grave of the 3rd Earl of Monsanto, D. Pedro de Castro, and his successors in Penha Longa.
1542 - Brief of Pope Paul III, referring to the building of the Tower of the couple as "the building had such a principle is never nella Bolio more: but within the walls, which haviaõ to serve the Church, is a corral of cattle without it ever came up in this place to celebrate the Divine Office "; obligations, including the Mass for the soul of Master Henriques, are transferred to the new convent of Carmel.
1542/1543 - Appointment of Peter Pexão as master of pipes at the Royal Palace.
1543 - Donation, by D. John III, the Mount of Glad tidings, then called Alto de Santa Catarina, to expand the farm, as a reward for command of the expedition against the pirate Barbarossa, attacking the coasts of the Mediterranean.
1543 - D. John III picks up the Convento da Penha Longa after the death of Prince D. Philip.
1545, September 26 - The Gafaria hospital and go to the jurisdiction of Mercy, founded by D. Catherine, being that this time the Gafaria was already vacant.
1545 - Foundation of the Confraternity of the Holy House of Mercy of Sintra, on the initiative of Queen Catherine, wife of D. John III, attaching the monarch Gafaria and the Hospital of the Holy Spirit of Mercy church building, near the hospital said.
1545, April 29 - Royal Palace - King's warrant to replace Pedro big fish when you are sick by Baltasar Fernandes, Mason.
1545-1550 - Implementation of paintings in the Church of Saint Martin by Diogo de Contreiras.
1546 - The poet Louise Sigeia composed in honor of Princess Mary, the poem Syntra which then is sent to Pope Paul III.
1547 - D. João de Castro was appointed Governor of the Indies.
1548 - D. João de Castro was appointed Viceroy of India, died just three weeks after the appointment, the property inherits his son D. Álvaro de Castro.
1549 - Dating from the domed courtyard, which indicates that the construction of the house in Ribafria Lourel be advanced.
Century 16, 2. Second half - appointment of master João Luís works for the monastery of Penha Longa by D. Sebastião.
1550/1565 - Pedro Álvares de Landim is prior of St. Michaelis Church.
1552, September 3 - scripture passing half of the property left by Queen Leonor to the hospital and the Leper of St. Peter gafos Penaferrim in Sintra, Cascais for the Mercy of the obligation to help the weak and poor.
1556 - D. John III gives authorization to the Convento do Carmo to use the water that supplies the village of Colares, on Mondays and Tuesdays.
1556, April 29 - Baltasar appointment of Fernandes to master the pipes, is master of the works of the Palace António Morais.
1559 - Data entered on the tombstone of Frei Brás de Barros, Santa Cruz reformer of Coimbra, who professed here in this monastery and was buried at the entrance to the Chapter House, lying on the tombstone ward E. Cloister Pena.
1560 - D. Álvaro de Castro sends build the Convent of Santa Cruz Capuchin, Capuchin friars with eight coming from Arrábida Convent, with the invocation of the Holy Cross, D. Alvaro de Castro, State Councillor of Finance and Seer of D. Sebastian, in fulfillment of a vow of his father, the Viceroy of India, D. João de Castro (1500 - 1548).
1564 - Second tombstone inscription of the church of the Capuchin Convent, indulgences are granted by Pope Pius IV, who pray for peace among Christian princes, by Holy Mother Church and for the soul of D. João de Castro.
1564, January 24 - Ferdinand Neto for naming the Janitor works in the Royal Palace.
1567, October 23 - appointment of master of lead pipes and masonry of the Palace of Baltazar Fernandes.
1569 - Gaspar Gonçalves is appointed Captain-General of Sintra, a position he passes to his offspring.
The 70 - At Penha Longa D. Louis, father of D. Sebastian, and even sent this run renovation and built new buildings necessary to the community.
1572 - Rebuilding of the Trinity convent complex on the initiative of the provincial Fr Trinity Baptist Jesus.
1575, Jan. 6 - Die Alvaro Garcia, benefited clergyman of the Church of Santa Maria leaving assets to pray 18th annual Masses.
1576 - Cardinal D. Henry was the last King to make this Penha Longa convent royal residence, redesigned the Refectory and created the so-called Garden of Cardinal.
1578 - D. Sebastian gives his last hearing in the Palace of Sintra, then called the Patio of the audience, before leaving for Alcazarquivir.
1579 - Skinny-The population of Sintra, Colares, Cascais and Milharado would venerate her first joining the Brotherhood, with alms rose a second larger chapel, this time the Chapel of St. Saturninus, the surroundings, it seems that was already abandoned.
1580 - Construction of the Chapel of San Antonio and about the Capuchin Convent at the initiative of Cardinal King Henrique.
1581, October - 1581 - D. Philip II of Spain estadeia in Sintra, having visited several places like the Capuchin Convent.
1581 - Date of the contract between Mercy Sintra Christopher Vaz and painter to paint the altarpiece, consisting of 8 panels arranged in 3 axes at the Mercy Church.
1583, about - painting two side altarpieces by the same painter and remaining planks painted figuring the Adoration of the Magi and Resurrection of Christ on the walls of the nave of the church of Mercy.
1583, November 5 - Death of Maria Fernandes, who became buried in the church of Santa Maria and donated 24 bushels of wheat to pray 24th annual masses for his soul.
1585 - The Santa Casa da Misericordia de Sintra renews emprazamento the couple's Ramalhão.
1589, September 6 - Death of Catherine Smith, buried in the church of Santa Maria by saying three Masses: one for her, one by Pedro Leite and 3rd by Francisco da Silva, his nephew and chaplain of the church, in October was buried in church António de Morais, master-builder royal palace in Sintra, a grave bought by Beatriz de Morais, his daughter.
1590 - Awarded a grave at the Convent of the Trinity Thomas and his wife Margarida Paiva Loba.
1590 - Painting of a Pentecost for the Chapel of the Royal Palace by Diogo Teixeira, now in the Museum of Odrinhas.
1590.07 February - Salvador Rodrigues appointment as master of the works of the palace pipes.
1596 - Death of Brother Honorius, who lived 30 years in a cave near the Capuchin Convent, as stated enrollment.
1598, April 18 - Die André Freire buried in the church of Santa Maria
1600 - Coating tile the chapel of the Convent about the Trinity.
Century 16, final - appointment of master João Luís works for the palace of Pena D. Sebastião.